[TriLUG] Slightly OT: Which *BSD? OpenBSD!

Patrick Boyer pboyer at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 21:06:57 EDT 2004

I have only tried OpenBSD but I love it so far. The ports system is
very familiar to me since I use Gentoo on the laptop (FreeBSD
developed the ports system, which was copied by OpenBSD, and which was
used as the basis for portage on Gentoo). I like OpenBSD for its
emphasis on security and its outstanding firewall, PF. I'm currently
in the process of setting up OpenBSD 3.5 on an old Pentium I as a
bridging firewall.

One word of caution: if you thought that some of the Linux community
can be unfriendly towards newbies (RTFM, etc.), the OpenBSD community
is much, much worse. They have no interest in taking people by the
hand and walking them through an installation. They expect users to
read the man pages (the best man pages in the universe, by the way!),
read the online FAQ, and figure most things out for themselves. It
might not be the best attitude in the world, but it is the way that
they are. They do have some reason to gripe, since their documentation
is excellent (did I mention that OpenBSD has excellent man pages?).

If you're really serious about OpenBSD, I highly recommend "Absolute
OpenBSD" by Michael W. Lucas, as well as the online man pages and FAQ.