[TriLUG] Windows Software Firewall Recommendations

Aaron Caudle aaron_caudle at speedsin.net
Mon Sep 20 08:54:31 EDT 2004

Hello everyone,
I know this is a Linux group primarily, but I do see some mention of
Windows occasionally so I thought I would get some opinions on a matter
I'm dealing with at work.

We have a few Win2k machines out on the Internet - not behind a firewall
at all.  I could move them behind a more secure firewall in the future
but that would take allot of head butting with the developer.  Hopefully
in the future I can get the developer to move from windows tomcat to a
Linux lava servlet - but that would be impossible right now.

The only current option is to use some software firewalls on each box.

So, I would like to, by the end of the week, have several of our Win2k
boxes protected by a software firewall and I'm asking for
recommendations.  I know there are allot out there and most of them are
very resource intensive.  Sygate and our tomcat just didn't get along
for whatever reason in one trial.  I think the developer told me
something about high memory usage.

So what do you guys recommend for software firewalls on windows boxes in
an enterprise type of environment?

Thanks
Aaron Caudle
Netlert Communications/Softbase Systems