[TriLUG] Linux Newbie Resources

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Mon Sep 20 15:30:35 EDT 2004

My $0.02, inserted below...

William

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, linux r wrote:

> Hi Gene,
>
> I am biased, but I prefer Redhat based distro's.   My reasoning:
>
> 1) a little more user friendly than some really advanced distros that
> are more scary-looking etc.  Red Hat has had the default GNOME desktop
> for awhile, which to me is easier to migrate from Windows to, than the
> KDE environment.

Red Hat's KDE and Gnome environments have become virtually
indistinguishable

> 2) other distros such as mandrake (french), white box linux, etc,  are
> based upon redhat.  The package manager, for example, which is what
> you use to install software.  So in the beginning I would rather just
> use one distro and get good with that until I knew a little bit about
> what was going on, and felt comfortable to try other distributions.

Mandrake (as Tanner no doubt will chime in) is no longer based on Red Hat.
In any case, Red Hat now costs $$$ to acquire legally if you want a stable
version (I don't consider the FC* series of "user" releases to be stable).