[TriLUG] Fedora Core 2 + MySQL 4.1

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Wed Sep 22 19:22:44 EDT 2004

Brian Henning wrote:

>Hi All,
>  Some of you will recognize this as the issue I was winning the
>talking-to-self award in the IRC channel for today..  Well, I still haven't
>solved it.  The low-down is:
>
>If I install the RPMs from mysql.com for 4.1, things get fubar'd (as someone
>correctly forewarned me).  Dependencies get broken, and useful little things
>like being able to start mysql cease functioning.
>
>So could someone point me to a howto or discussion or whatever that would
>shed some good light on the right way to upgrade?  I need to make sure that
>things like Perl-DBD-MySQL, php-mysql, etc. remain unbroken, because I make
>considerable use of them.  I want to upgrade because I want to be able to
>use subqueries, which aren't supported before 4.1.
>
>TIA,
>~Brian

<useless rant>
apt-get install postgresql

Perhaps someone who's using still using a redhat product can convert
that to the appropriate fedora equivalent for you.  If you want things
like stored procedures, real transactions (in the default table type -
as if there should be more than one), or other
processing-on-the-database engine side of things, use a real DB.  MySQL
is great for what it's good at, back-ending simple database driven
websites, but when you start moving more logic into the DB, it's time to
look elsewhere.  Maybe they'll get there by MySQL 5.x or 6.x - but the
time is not now.
</useless rant>

Aaron S. Joyner