[TriLUG] Looking for a invite? No, neither am I...

Mike M no-linux-support at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 23 14:36:46 EDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 01:49:53PM -0400, Matt Frye wrote:
> > LOL. So much for "Do No Evil".  Wall Street is in charge now.  Time to
> > get a new search engine. Maybe it's time to go back to Gopher, Archie,
> > Veronica, and Jughead.  I'm using mutt for email which is kind of retro.
>
> Search engines:  what do people think of a9.com?

That was my first try.  "si gt ran. org" is #2 on keyword "s ig tran" so that's
good.  I like the thumbnail images in the results.  It was quick.
If you wander around you get
slapped with Amazon marketing.  I  smell evil - as in they are
collecting information about you and using the information to "enhance"
your experience.  If they can suppress that urge to market it would be
better for them.  The best Amazon could expect from me is to be allowed
to have their logo/link on my screen more often by having a really good
non-evil search engine that eventually becomes my default s/e by having
less marketing evil.
--
Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.