[TriLUG] OT: Beating a dead horse to death, and beating it again until its an ex-horse.

Michael Thompson thompson at easternrad.com
Fri Sep 24 18:15:40 EDT 2004

Mike M wrote:
| Do what you like, but rpjd is just pointing out the customary
| way of doing things.
|
| I certainly wouldn't call RFCs "silly" or "elitist".
| http://www.postel.org/postel.html

<happy>

Agreed.  I admit, my response this morning was way too aggressive and
abrasive, and really just a knee-jerk reaction to a "please do it *my*
way since I'm smarter (and more elite) than you" (perceived) message,
which just struck me wrong.  I get enough of the God complex working in
the medical industry, and the over-abundance of it in the computer field
makes me sick.  *Apologies* to anyone who doesn't feel that advanced
computer knowledge makes you a deity, or better than everyone else.  We
all have things we do well, and things we don't.

As far as posting goes, I still stand by my opinion of "do it any way
that makes you happy, but please do it in plain text if you know how".
I can see a reason to top, bottom or middle post in different
situations.  Sure bottom posting is particularly inconvenient to *me*,
but it hasn't killed me yet.  Sorry guys.  :)

AND, as far as RFCs being silly, there is at least one:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1149.txt?number=1149  :)

| The RFC you might be referring to:
|
| http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt

<snip>"A good rule of thumb:  Be conservative in what you send and
liberal in what you receive.  You should not send heated messages (we
call these "flames") even if you are provoked.  On the other hand, you
shouldn't be surprised if you get flamed and it's prudent not to respond
to flames."</snip>

Obviously *I* don't give this RFC much thought, but it appears that I'm
not the only one who doesn't agree/adhere (although I *have* read it...)
Turning the other cheek is one of those things I'm not very good at.
There's also a bit in there about changing another poster's text in a
reply, but I'll spare you the <snip> since the silliness of the whole
thing just makes me laugh so uncontrollably.

Next time I'll just have some more coffee and relax, as we all should, I
guess.

I demand that you all have a nice weekend, thats what I'm going to try
to do, which makes it not only right, but the only way.  ;-)

- --Mike

</happy>