[TriLUG] Debian CD-R problems

rwshep2000.2725323 at bloglines.com rwshep2000.2725323 at bloglines.com
Mon Sep 27 10:13:52 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I'm a relative Linux newbie, so bear that in mind...

I upgraded
to Debian w/KDE unstable kernel 2.6.8-1-386.  (OK, I know I have no business
doing this but everything is OK except my CD-R woes.)  I have limited understanding,
and I haven't been able to find resolution via Google.

Each boot Discover
"cleans up" (removes) the /media/cdrom0 directory, then never recreates it.
 Fine, I commented that line out of discover:

/etc/init.d/discover

   # Remove all old optical drive mount points:
    for CDMOUNT in ${CDROM_BASE_MOUNTPOINT}cdrom?

    do
        mountsent="$(grep "$CDMOUNT " /proc/mounts | cut -f2)"

       if [ -z "$mountsent" ]; then
         # rm -rf $CDMOUNT
        fi

    done

My remaining problems are these:

1.  Once mounted, I cannot
unmount, even as root.
	linux:~# umount /media/cdrom0
	umount: /media/cdrom0:
device is busy
	umount: /media/cdrom0: device is busy

2.  I cannot eject.

	umount: /media/cdrom0: device is busy
	umount: /media/cdrom0: device is
busy
	eject: unmount of `/dev/hda' failed

This happens from shell or
Konqueror.  OK, so I close Konqueror (assuming it is causing the "busy" signal)
and:

as my user:

rs1700 at linux:~$ umount /media/cdrom0
rs1700 at linux:~$
eject
eject: unable to eject, last error: Invalid argument

disk does not
eject.

and as root:

linux:~# umount /media/cdrom0
linux:~# eject
eject:
unable to eject, last error: Invalid argument

but disk does eject!

Seems
like a lot to go through just to eject the CD: close Konqueror, shell out,
su, umount, eject, receive an error...

Permissions:

lrwxrwxrwx  1 0
0   13 Sep 27 08:16 cdrom -> /media/cdrom0

fstab:

# /etc/fstab: static
file system information.
#
      <dump>  <pass>
proc            /proc           proc    defaults
    0       0
/dev/hdc1       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro
0       1
/dev/hdc5       /home           ext3    defaults        0
 2
/dev/hdc6       none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hda
       /media/cdrom0   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/fd0
/media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0

I can burn a CD if
no CD was previously mounted that session (even though fstab reports the device
as "ro").  After the burn K3B ejects the disk.

I fully accept that I may
be the problem in this scenario, if someone will tell me the error in my ways!