[TriLUG] how does one permit root telnet

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Tue Sep 28 10:08:10 EDT 2004

Victor Snesarev wrote:

>This may show my newbiness, but can't one log in as a non-root user and then
>'su'?
>
>-Victor

You certainly could.  Although in a telnet situation it doesn't prevent
sniffing off the wire (the big concern with telnet), it only makes
brute-forcing the password harder (because you have to brute force both
a user and the root password).  This would be one layer of "making it
better" that would be preferred over simply allowing root telnet, but
given the original poster's assertions that he had looked at every other
option, and for some reason requires root telnet access, I personally
decided to simply hand him the rope.  :)  Experience is life's best teacher.

Aaron S. Joyner