[TriLUG] Running httpd but not on a certain ip address

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Tue Sep 28 21:04:09 EDT 2004

Matt Frye wrote:
> I have a FC1 box that I host several web sites on and it has several
> interfaces, each with a different ip set (not aliases).  I need httpd
> to run on all but one of them.  The odd interfaces needs to run a
> different service on port 80.  What do I need to put in httpd.conf (or
> somewhere else) to keep httpd from serving on the ip address?  Am I
> missing something?  I would appreciate informed suggestions.
>
> Matt Frye

I think you need to use the Listen directive to specify that the
host listens on all the IP's except the one you want left free.

There's a page here:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/vhosts/ip-based.html

that speaks to that.  In particular, look where it says:

"It's only possible to Listen to the "wildcard" address, or to specific
addresses. So if you have a need to listen to a specific address for
whatever reason, then you will need to listen to all specific addresses.
(Although one httpd could listen to N-1 of the addresses, and another
could listen to the remaining address.)"

HTH.

TTYL,

Phil