Postel and ESR (was Re: [TriLUG] Monthly mailman reminders and procmail)

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Fri Oct 1 20:59:53 EDT 2004

Mike M wrote:

>Nevertheless HTML is robust.

Tried to make moderately complicated cross-browser compatible javascript
before?  Even some pure HTML constructs simply don't fly with all of the
browsers.  Hence the problem ESR was alluding too.  Just to clarify, I
do think that generally HTML works remarkably well considering all that
is asked of it these days. I just always associate ESR's account of
McIlroy's take on Postel, and the occasional little personal horrors
I've encountered in dealing with HTML.  :)

>Postel's philosophy for robustness works when applied to social situations too.

Certainly won't deny that.  :)

Aaron S. Joyner