[TriLUG] OT: Home Depot and Cat 5

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Oct 5 12:24:28 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 05 October 2004 09:21 am, Aaron S. Joyner wrote:

> If anyone else has any insights or disagreements, I'd be quite
> interested to hear.  I am not an authoritative source on cabling by any
> means, I've just observed the common industry practices for the better
> part of a decade and am kind of a stickler when it comes to proper cabling.
>
> Aaron S. Joyner

I have an additional question. I have a 150' cat5 cable hand made by my
vendor. It doesn't work. A friend told me that with long runs there's a
special wiring method than with short runs, in order to limit capacitance or
inductance or some such.

Anyone know about that?

One thing I can tell you is that the non-working cable has only 4 conductors
crimped. For long cables, should all 8 be crimped?

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt
Founder and acting president: GoLUG