[TriLUG] OT : Don't let Cheney hide

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 7 06:53:19 EDT 2004

Well, you know, back when Cheney really was in hiding during the
weeks following 9/11 I did hear some interesting linux news about
our "shadow government" (i.e. the post-apocolypse quasi-gov that
would emerge from wherever they were hiding underground once
it was safe).

Anyway, one of my friends from back in my government days said
that linux was the OS of choice, well that and BSD, in a "total loss"
scenario where new software and computer parts could not be found
in case of all-out war.  He said the reasoning behind this was Linux
was more likely to run on "rag-tag bring what-ya-can-scrape-together"
hardware and the same cobbled together system could perform all
the necessary functions from routing to file serving, etc.  Also, the
software, being open-source, could be modified by those with fairly
straight-forward programming skills in C, perl, and the like.

Granted this was one of those "four beer" conversations so I'm not
sure exactly how accurate it is but I found it interesting never the
less.

Greg