[TriLUG] has roadrunner changed something recently?

Ryan Leathers Ryan.Leathers at globalknowledge.com
Tue Oct 12 14:59:31 EDT 2004

wondering if anyone else has experienced this...

Last Friday evening in the middle of an on-line frag-fest I lost my
connection to the server.
A few minutes later I turned up the likely problem - my router, connected
directly to a cable modem (Motorola SB4200), could not reach much of
anything by IP address.  Traceroutes from the router (Cisco 2600) died 6
hops away.  I assumed at that point that there was some outage in the SP
network so I went and watched TV.

On Saturday the problem remained so I did some more exploration.  It seems
that the real problem has to do with DHCP.
When I connect my Linux or Windows hosts directly to the cable modem I get a
lease offer which looks like this:
24.74.175.X /21 IP Addr
24.74.168.1 Gateway
10.42.32.1 DHCP Server

However, when I connect the router directly to the cable modem (using E0/0
ip address dhcp) I get a lease like this:
10.42.44.233 /19 IP Addr
10.42.32.1 Gateway
24.25.4.112 DHCP Server

Note that with this lease I am able to reach a number of detinations on what
appears to be TWC's private network, but obviously I'm not reaching the
Internet.

So what's up with this?  Is my dhcp client in the router not handshaking
correctly anymore?
Insights welcomed - insidious conspiratorial allegations discouraged.

Ryan