[TriLUG] KDE, switching networks, delays starting apps

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Tue Oct 12 20:28:07 EDT 2004

Jon> You can get around this problem pretty easily by simply installing
Jon> your own caching DNS server on your workstation - then putting
Jon> 127.0.0.1 as the first nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf

I like this idea.  I have used "dnsmasq" in the past.  It's a very simple
caching DNS server and DHCP server (DHCP is disabled by default).  The
configuration is easy, easy, easy.

I might try this out, but first, let's try Timothy's fix.

Timothy> What about adding:
Timothy> 127.0.0.1 localhost ... laptop laptop.workdomain.com
laptop.homedomain.com
Timothy> to /etc/hosts?

This was enough:

   127.0.0.1 localhost laptop

Thanks to everyone who shared my curiosity about this problem.

Alan