[TriLUG] USB UPS monitoring

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Oct 13 16:52:47 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 15:34, Brian Henning wrote:
> H'lo,
>   We've got an Energizer (actually Technuity) ER-PRO1000 UPS protecting a
> server running FC2.  Technuity/Energizer doesn't seem to be eager to provide
> any monitoring software for the Linux platform.  Add to that the fact that
> I've never monitored any sort of UPS in linux before, anyhow.  So:

My experiences have only been with APC UPSes, and I've always used
"apcupsd" (google-it).  I dunno whether that software actually has the
capability to monitor other brands.

> - The USB kernel module detected the plugging-in of the USB cable to the
> UPS, but I am presuming it doesn't know what to do with it until I make some
> configuration changes / install software / etc.  Any tips for a first-timer?

To see if your USB will even work, see some directions here:
http://www.apcupsd.com/3.10.x-manual/check_usb.html

Note the section on whether the HID driver is loaded, or whether it just
says "(none)" for the driver.

> P.S.  Pizza will be at the meeting tomorrow, right? (-:

YEP.