[TriLUG] Money in mysql

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Thu Oct 14 09:32:51 EDT 2004

Matt Frye wrote:

>>Cool.  If you're mainly going to be dealing with just summing
>>columns of numbers, you won't have to worry much about the
>>floating point stuff.
>

> Yes, that is the bulk of it.  Averaging and rounding in this case will
> be par for the course.

Cool.  After I posted that, I read something else that
pointed out that you can still get fp errors even just
doing addition and subtraction (or did I already say that?
I'm getting groggy due to lack of sleep here).  It's all
to do with the "accumulated error" business.... that link
that Tanner provided explains it much better than I ever
could though, so definitely give that a look if you haven't
yet. :-)

TTYL,

Phil