[TriLUG] Linux Distributions Question

Tommy Williams talen.quickblade at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 16:38:44 EDT 2004

Hello to all!

I've been dawdling with linux since slackware 96, but never seriously
considered it for full time use until last year. I have also been
interested in attending the monthly Tri-LUG meetings for quite some time
and was happy to finally make it to last nights!  Thanks to Tanner for
the DNS presentation, I learned some great new stuff!

I have managed to figure out most of what I have wanted to know up to
this point, and relish the opportunity to be a part of a local group
that I can lean on for support and answers.

On to my question, which is rather basic.  For a somebody that is new
to linux, and would like a server capable of hosting SAMBA shares for
"other" machines on a LAN, and also capable of hosting HTTP both LAN,
and WAN (mostly just to learn and experiment with), which distribution
of Linux would you recommend?  While you are considering this question
I know that I have basically asked for what flavor kool-aid you like.
Still I would love some input.

--
Tommy Williams

SETI at Home User Since:   July, 1999
Processor Time donated: 4 years, 161 days, 23 hours
Workunits returned:     3339
Average time/workunit:  11 hours, 39 minutes
(http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu)