[TriLUG] Slides from last night's DNS Presentation

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 18:25:37 EDT 2004

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 17:47:46 -0400, Ben Pitzer <uncleben at mindspring.com> wrote:
> Rick,

> 1.  Black hole lists are typically best used by most folks to temporarily
> eliminate DDOS attacks, or other abusive situations.  They can be used, for
> example, to corral and eliminate problems from virus laden hosts hammering
> DNS servers with thousands of TCP queries, which can cause serious load
> spikes, on occasion.  Usually, adding the offender to the black hole list
> for 24-48 hours is enough to ensure that they're not going to hit you
> anymore, especially if coupled with an email to the IP owner's abuse
> coordinator.
>
> For a small, home based DNS server, however, it'll probably be rare that
> you'd need to do something like this.

Understood, but I wasn't talking about protecting a DNS server from
DOS attacks my gripe was about ISPs who keep legitimate e-mails from
getting to me because they've ended up temporarily or not on a list
like spamcop.net.  I've seen this happen to mail from yahoo groups.
I've also had mailing list sign-up confirmations blocked from many
mailing lists, particularly sourceforge lists. That's what led me set
up my own mail server.

> 2.  Views could be better used to set up a view for your internal LAN to do
> lookups on one set of zones, while everybody external sees a different zone,
> perhaps both containing the same hostnames.  That way, you could keep your
> internal LAN's records pointing to internal IPs, while letting your external
> view point to external IP zones.  (I hope that make sense...)

Yes, that's how I understand it, but in a typical SOHO setup with a
single dynamic ISP supplied ip address a lan behind a NAT router, with
all of the externally viewed name mapping to the only ip address I've
got I'm not sure I see either how to or why I should use views.

How well do the DNS protocols support domains, as opposed to hosts,
with dynamic addresses? Dyndns doesn't seem to support exposing name
servers on a dynamic address, do any similar outfits allow it?