[TriLUG] New 2.6.8.1-10mdk Kernel Won't Boot

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 13:55:05 EDT 2004

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 13:10:33 -0400, Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp at pobox.com> wrote:

> Shouldn't the "make install" in a proper kernel-source package already
> do this?  Or maybe Joshua wasn't using "make install" ?

I don't know if make install does that or not.  Modular
kernels have almost completely done away with the need
to compile your own kernel these days, except under
specific circumstances.  That said, though, you're
assuming that the kernel is always installed on the
place where it's compiled.  mkinitrd will take a look at your
running configuration and make sure the needed modules
get added to initrd.