[TriLUG] God, how I hate thee, VIM - solved

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Thu Oct 21 15:08:13 EDT 2004

Brian Henning wrote:

>>Just think of all the keystrokes you've wasted over the years.
>>

>I thought that came with the vim territory..  ;-)
>
>~B

Then you really don't know vim.  :)  I've been a hardcore vim user for
the better part of a decade, and I still stumble on a new keystroke
every few months that makes me more efficient.  And I'm a serious
key-stroke-efficiency junkie.  Consider that virtually every upper and
lower case character, special characters included, does something
magical in command mode.  Now think about how many you can actually
describe off the top of your head.  I would guess that most people
couldn't name what every key of the alphabet does even, which leaves a
lot of room for being more efficient.  Throw in upper case chars,
special chars (do you know what # does?  How about capital K?  Both are
quite useful in the right context), and you've got quite an array of
"ways to do it".  And just like PERL, TIMTOWTDI.  Several vi-using
friends of mine and I often joke about the fact that you really can do
what *ever* it is you're trying to do in one, or maybe 2, keystrokes.
Perhaps a vim class some time.  :)

Aaron S. Joyner