[TriLUG] God, how I hate thee, VIM

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Oct 21 15:58:42 EDT 2004

On Thursday 21 October 2004 01:38 pm, Aaron S. Joyner wrote:
[clip]
> More specifically, if you're editing a file that vim identifies as a
> script, it will try to do some helpful things for you.

Interestingly, it's Vim's handling of comments that enabled the VimOutliner
project to enable body text as a feature. We simply defined a leading colon
as a comment.

SteveT

> There's probably
> a more elegant way, but if you just want a quick and dirty way to turn
> off all code interpretation, type
>
> :set paste

For the ultimate in elegant ways, try downloading VimOutliner
(http://www.vimoutliner.org), and look at the various vim scripts. I
understand only about 1/3 of it, but what I do understand is a monument to
what you can do with Vim.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Founder and acting president: GoLUG