[TriLUG] OT: windows firewall

Joseph Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 09:19:47 EDT 2004

ZoneEdit is a free Personal Firewall application with a much more
featureful pay application.  I'd recommend w2k over w98 as the
networking is much better.
W2K has inherent packet filtering abilities, but they are more
complicated to set up than iptables, so I haven't messed with it.

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 09:15:43 -0400, Joseph Mack <mack.joseph at epa.gov> wrote:
> I don't know anyone to ask this question, so I'll try here.
>
> I need to put a windows machine (W98, or W2k) on the internet. I don't want
> it to get hacked. It has all the microsoft updates on it. I need processes
> to be able to connect to anything outside and need all connect requests
> from the outside to be refused. I don't care what happens to ping requests.
> This is simple to do in Linux, but I don't know how to do it with Windows.
>
> Thanks Joe
>
> --
> Joseph Mack PhD, High Performance Computing & Scientific Visualization
> LMIT, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
> Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb at epa.gov

Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com
Web: http://www.dragonstrider.com