[TriLUG] OT: windows firewall

Chris Knowles chrisk at trilug.org
Tue Oct 26 11:11:12 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 10:21, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 09:15:43 -0400, Joseph Mack <mack.joseph at epa.gov> wrote:
> > I don't know anyone to ask this question, so I'll try here.
> >
> > I need to put a windows machine (W98, or W2k) on the internet. I don't want
> > it to get hacked. It has all the microsoft updates on it. I need processes
> > to be able to connect to anything outside and need all connect requests
> > from the outside to be refused. I don't care what happens to ping requests.
> > This is simple to do in Linux, but I don't know how to do it with Windows.
>
> Joe,
>
> Might I suggest asking a more appropriate forum like
>
> a) The NC Sysadmins
> b) The NT Users Group
> c) Internetworkers
>
> Or, if you want to make it relevant to this list, put a linux box
> in front of it and direct the appropriate connections to the
> windows box.
>
> Otherwise, this is not an appropriate trilug post (just like
> asking about battery disposal is not).
>
> Tanner Lovelace

Pedantry.

Elitism.

The Windows post is indeed entirely off topic here.  However, I'm happy
to talk about windows firewalls with him or anyone.  Particularly since
the entirely unwritten subtext is: "If I were using a sane system like
*BSD or Linux, this wouldn't even be a question... but these people know
about firewalls..."

So I'm happy to allow it.  Particularly if the poster puts an OT in the
subject line.  (lo and behold they did.  You were warned.)

The battery post is not directly *ON* topic, but I think it is
appropriate for this list.  Many of us have Linux laptops running with
aging batteries.  We answer other hardware questions all the time.

CJK

--
Chris Knowles <chrisk at trilug.org>