[TriLUG] printing, vpn, stuff

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Tue Oct 26 16:47:35 EDT 2004

>  This sounds to me like a prime candidate for VPN.

At the risk of pointing out a non-Linux-based solution...

You can get a pair of Linksys VPN routers from Staples, Best
Buy, etc.  They're about $70 each.

You simply tell each one about where to find the other (like
a static IP address or a dyndns,org domain, etc), and you
enter a shared key into each one.  The set-up is pretty
simple... a no-brainer, really.

Whenever traffic comes in that is destined for the other
box, it brings up an encrypted link and WHAMMO, you're
connected to the other site!  After some period of inactivity,
it tears down the connection.

We set one up at my office so we can share stuff with our
sister office in Tennessee.  It works great.  Install and
forget.

Alan