[TriLUG] Another VPN Question

Brian Henning lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com
Tue Oct 26 21:25:00 EDT 2004

Mod: Doh..  Sent from the wrong address.  Go ahead and can that one.  Here
it is again, correctly sourced.

Hey Gang,
  As it happens, today a coworker came to me wanting to be able to access
our financial files from home.  Again, VPN to the rescue, or so I thought.
OpenVPN sounds really good; only problem is, this coworker only has Windows
98 on his computer at home; OpenVPN calls for 2k/XP.  Are VPN clients and
servers interchangeable?  Can I run OpenVPN on the company side (on our
linux server) and just find whatever VPN client I can get my hands on that
will run on Win98?  If anyone could suggest a VPN client they have
experience with that works well on 98 in conjunction with OpenVPN, or any
other f/oss solution I can install on the company side's linux box, I'd be
eternally grateful.

This coworker is using dialup, so there's no way to install much in the way
of VPN appliance hardware in his home.

Thanks!

Cheers,
~Brian