[TriLUG] Musical composition software

Jeff Tickle jtickle at jtsoft.net
Wed Oct 27 08:09:30 EDT 2004

The best I've used is Rosegarden.  I wouldn't say it's on par with
Finale (Windows), but it's not bad, although just now looking at the
website it seems they've worked on it a lot since I last used it.  I've
heard a lot about MuseScore, but it needs some sort of real time
something or other in the kernel that I never could get to work.  As far
as just typesetting goes, Lilypond is AWESOME... it's sort of like a
music programming language.

Links:
http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/
http://mscore.sourceforge.net/
http://lilypond.org/web/

Please share if you find anything else... I have brief stints of musical
brilliance and the lack of Finale for Linux unfortunately makes it
rather painful.

-Jeff