[TriLUG] peer to peer file transfer from boot disk or cd

Mike Norwood norwoodm at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 27 12:35:23 EDT 2004

Hi,

We sometimes need to transfer files from Windows PC's to Linux PC's away
from our offices.  We generally do not know much about the Windows PC in
advance, but if they have a cdrom writer great, if not then we can be in
trouble.  We sometimes just use a parallel port zip drive as these are
generally older pcs, but then we sometimes have to mess around in the bios
to make sure parallel port configured correctly.

What I am really looking for is a process where I can boot the windows
machine from a linux disk or cd (it would be ideal if small enough to fit
on either, as sometimes one or the other does not work), and as easily as
possible (with minimum user interaction, as I am not the only one who does
this), the network card is detected, the drive is mounted, IP address is
assigned.  Ideally there would also be a separate diskette or cd that
would run on the Linux end that would temporarily run necessary services
for the other end (DHCP, ftp or ssh server, etc.) as I do not really want
to run any of these permanently on the linux machine.  I am sure that I
can do this given them time, (using one of the many linux distributions
on floppy or cd) but if anyone is aware of a good starting point or has
already done anything similar, any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Mike Norwood