[TriLUG] Corrupt port?

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Wed Oct 27 17:44:50 EDT 2004

Matt Frye wrote:

>Last night, a vendor told one of my customers that an interface
>connection problem was due to a "corrupt port" and that we needed to
>change the port number.  I told the customer that the vendor was on
>crack.  I'm dying for this vendor to tell me exactly what they meant.
>Anyone ever heard such a thing?
>
>MPF

A more accurate way of saying what he *might* have meant was that there
was an application "hung" on a port.  In windows I've seen FTP servers
die, and then hold open the ports they were previously listening to
until the box was rebooted - with no way to free them that I ever
found.  If your app isn't tied to a specific port, changing it might be
the simplest way to work around the problem, with out having to reboot.
It's possible that was what the vendor was trying to express.

Aaron S. Joyner