[TriLUG] Documentation format question

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 28 07:38:18 EDT 2004

Chris,

I've started using a Wiki environment for documentation purposes at my data
center.  It's got a simplified markup language, but if you really go into
it, it can get pretty extended.  The most important stuff is easy, however.

I use PMwiki (http://www.pmwiki.org/), however I've heard MoinMoin
(http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/), Twiki (http://twiki.org/), and TikiWiki
(http://tikiwiki.org/tiki-index.php) are popular.  PHPWiki needs alot of
work, and has a much less professional interface.

As for the PDF printable feature, well, PMwiki does have a feature, but
requires Adobe Acrobat's 'import from web' feature.  I don't think that it
or any other wiki have the ability to generate PDF files on their own,
although it is OSS written in PHP, so you might be able to do it on your
own.  PMwiki even has a page written up about the feature that you request,
and has a list of issues that must be addressed to handle it:
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Development/WikiBooks

Also, check out #wiki.  If anybody is awake, they can probably help you out
in choosing a suitable wiki, if that's what you want to try.

Regards,
Ben Pitzer

"Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
 --Ben Franklin--