[TriLUG] OT: tracking software.

gregbrown at mindspring.com gregbrown at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 28 09:20:06 EDT 2004

brandon said:
upgrade everyone to xp or better linux and then take away their rights to
install other software

Can't be done.  At least not yet.  I am stuck with the desktops they have
in place at least until Q2 05.

brandon said;
...also put have your client put a policy in place that
any non-business related apps will result in getting fired.

I am working on crafting this document now.

brandon said:
As far as the web surfing...put in squid and make people authenticate to the
squid then you can run all kinds of reports showing what they have been
surfing.  Before she can monitor any of these things legally they must make
everyone sign some type of policy that states that they can monitor everything
employees do, otherwise they are could get sued for evation of privacy.

Are you sure about that?  I have to check with my attorney but I was fairly
certain that, at least for web surfing, the Intenet connection is a company
resource and usage of that resource can be controlled by the company.  As
far as desktops I was also under the impression that since these were company
resources there was no "right to privacy" on a device which was not owned by
the user.  I was under the impression that most of the documents you are made
to sign were just "double-plus CYA" types of things.

I like the authenticated squid server, though.