[TriLUG] How may GB does a complete Fedora core Install take?

Rob Lockhart rlockhar at trilug.org
Thu Oct 28 15:34:24 EDT 2004

On 10/28/2004 12:18 PM, Ralph Blach wrote:

> I want to install a Fedora 2 core and was wondering how many GB's
> of hardfile space a complete install really takes?

Talking about Fedora Core 2, it is impossible to believe that there is
no boot floppy available.  I was going to try and install it at work
on an old Dell (i586 200MMX, 128MB RAM), to serve as a lab
DHCP/BOOTP/HTTP server.  It says with the newer BIOS that if you
specify "Floppy", it actually first tries the floppy drive, then PnP
CD-ROM, then hard drive (whatever PnP CDROM is).  It doesn't seem to
work, as it doesn't boot from CD-ROM with a Centos-3 boot CD I made
(Centos requires i686 and 256MB RAM).  I haven't tried to see if it
would boot a Knoppix CD.  I was actually trying an FTP install.

I can't understand why the kernel couldn't have been modularized more,
and move the modules to floppy.

I Googled lots of proposed work-arounds, but none were fruitful or
worth my time.  One said to install FC1 then upgrade to FC2. another
had a bunch of loadlin stuff (presuming you had an extra FAT32
bootable partition on the hard drive, then it would be blown away
after install?).

Back to your question, the answer is:

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/

- ---------------------------------------

      Hard Disk Space Requirements

This section lists the disk space required to install Fedora Core 2.

      Note

The disk space requirements listed below represent the disk space
taken up by Fedora Core 2 /after/ the installation is complete.
However, additional disk space is required during the installation to
support the installation environment. This additional disk space
corresponds to the size of /Fedora/base/stage2.img (on CD-ROM 1) plus
the size of the files in /var/lib/rpm on the installed system.

In practical terms, this means that as little as an additional 90MB
can be required for a minimal installation, while as much as an
additional 175MB can be required for an "everything" installation.

Also, keep in mind that additional space will be required for any user
data, and at least 5% free space should be maintained for proper
system operation.

    *

      Custom Installation (Minimal): 620MB

    *

      Server: 1.1GB

    *

      Personal Desktop: 2.3GB

    *

      Workstation: 3.0GB

    *

      Custom Installation (Everything): 6.9GB

Note, you may wish to up that amont by about 300MB, if you consider
all the updates (kept in /var/yum for me cuz I do yum)