[TriLUG] installing FC2 without boot floppy - was How may GB ...

Brian Daniels bitmage at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 28 17:09:28 EDT 2004

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 03:52:19PM -0400, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 15:34, Rob Lockhart wrote:
>

> > Talking about Fedora Core 2, it is impossible to believe that there is
> > no boot floppy available.
>
> I don't understand why that's impossible to believe.  The 2.6 kernel
> simply is too big to fit on a floppy and still have room for any
> user-land code.  A floppy is only 1.44 MB, that's a very small amount
> compared to the complexity of the 2.6 kernel.

Coming in late to this thread, so I don't know if this will help:

There is a tool called Smart Boot Manager that can be found at
http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/
The webpage is a mess, but if you download the latest version from
http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/3.7/
you can make a boot floppy that will boot your system from a cdrom drive,
even if the system's bios doesn't support booting from CD.

Very handy for older hardware.

--Brian

--
Question with boldness even the existence of a god;
because if there be one he must approve of the

--Thomas Jefferson, Aug. 10, 1787

Brian Daniels                  bitmage at bellsouth.net
      http://www.eviloverlord.net