[TriLUG] installing FC2 without boot floppy - was How may GB ...

David Rasch rasch at raschnet.com
Thu Oct 28 19:24:20 EDT 2004

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 03:52:19PM -0400, Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 15:34, Rob Lockhart wrote:
>

> > Talking about Fedora Core 2, it is impossible to believe that there is
> > no boot floppy available.
>
> I don't understand why that's impossible to believe.  The 2.6 kernel
> simply is too big to fit on a floppy and still have room for any
> user-land code.  A floppy is only 1.44 MB, that's a very small amount
> compared to the complexity of the 2.6 kernel.
>
> Fedora Core 2 and the 2.6 kernel are designed for modern hardware; it's
> not unexpected to find out that you'd have problems with dinosaurs.
> Either work around the problems or use an older distribution that was
> designed for that hardware.

It does beg the question of why the _Install_
need run on the 2.6 kernel even if the distribution itself does.  Maybe
I'm missing the point, but I've installed Debian with a 2.4 kernel from
a boot disk running 2.2 with success in the past.  I will quickly cede
that there will be certain hardware that will be unsupported by an older
kernel and thus there are _advantages_ to using the 2.6 kernel on the
installation media.

David