[TriLUG] OT: tracking software.

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Fri Oct 29 09:14:21 EDT 2004

On Thu, October 28, 2004 8:55 am, gregbrown at mindspring.com said:
> I have a small client who is looking to track how much time her users
> spend on-line and playing games.  I have a basic network set up for
> them now consisting of a Sprint DSL line, a M0n0wall firewall, and a
> small switch.  I will be putting a linux box on her network to act as
> a syslog server so I imagine I could get the syslog message from m0n0
> to track URL requests, etc but I'm still stuck without knowing what
> people are doing on thier local machines (playing games etc).
>
> The desktops are a mish-mash of Win9x up to XP.  Since the her
> requirements say she wants to be able to track usage on the machine
> for game usage I'm starting to think that rather than the syslog
> approach for the URLs it might be easier to just use some type of
> local agent on the desktops.
>
> Drumroll please....
>
> So the question is:
>
> Does anyone know of an angent that can do this AND report back to a
> Linux box for processing or reports?
>
> OR
>
> Does anyone know of an agent that can do this AND report back to a
> desktop running XP Home for processing and reporting?
>
> Greg

If you are going to use squid, also look at SquidGuard and Sarg.  I
use both on our proxy at work and they compliment squid very well.

Also if you need a identd client for windows to do authentication,
search for Turtle identd.  It seems to be the most stable one I could
find.  If you can't find it let me know I will send you a copy.

Matt Pusateri