[TriLUG] m0n0wall -- was OT: tracking software.

Bill Vinson billvinson at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 11:48:29 EDT 2004

Remember, there are other options for m0n0wall, such as the WRAP
design hardware which is very similar to Soekris, but cheaper (links
can be found on the m0n0wall site, I think). I have read great
comments for both platforms, but I actually don't run either of those
too, but mine is a compact-flash based system. I doubt I will build a
firewall again that doesn't run off of compact flash. Greg is right on
the money for the power savings too though. I went this route so that
my firewall and cable modem could run on the UPS during short power
outages or run long enough for me to roll out the generator. I don't
plan on spending another snowstorm without internet access unless my
cable modem loses its signal ;)

m0n0wall is the best OSS software I have found that makes
administration easy enough that anyone could do it, and it only
requires an 8MB CF. Compact Flash is so cheap now, I best most people
have some lying around. I seem to always have 4 or 5 of them in my
drawer at home :)

Bill