[TriLUG] Linux RAID Resync and LVM

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Tue Nov 2 08:49:29 EST 2004

Hi, All.

I am cross posting this here because I suspect that there are others in
the group who have encountered this problem and can offer some advice.

Thanks,
Brian

----- Forwarded message from Brian McCullough <bdmc at bdmcc-us.com> -----

I hope that somebody can offer some suggestions to counteract an issue
that I am having.

I have a server ( a little low on memory, I think ) that is trying to do
a resync on a Raid 1 disk pair that is under my LVM.  Unfortunately,
this is killing performance on the server, and the people that I serve
are working to a hard deadline.

Is there any way ( what is the procedure ) to "pause" the resync ( yes I
know that this is a BAD idea, but it is currently forecast to take
another 12 - 18 hours ) so that I can either restart or resume it in a
day or two when the deadline has passed?

Configuration:

/dev/md4 = /dev/hde1 ( disk 0 ), /dev/hdg1 ( disk 1 )

/dev/mapper/VGProjectData-lvol1 ( 1-4 ) built on /dev/md4.

I can mount and unmount the LVM partitions, but raidstop just comes back
with the "help" message.

Help!

Thank you,
Brian