[TriLUG] White Box /RHEL 3 on a Mac?

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Nov 3 09:39:20 EST 2004

Marc,

Macs contain a completely different processor -- the IBM PowerPC -- from
Intel x86-compatible computers.  It is not possible to use operating
systems built for i386 on a Macintosh.  They are completely different
"languages" and there is no translation[1].

White Box Enterprise Linux is based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux, and
neither of these have Macintosh PowerPC versions available, so you can't
use these.  However, if you do want to run Linux, you can download
Yellow Dog Linux, available from http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/ .
Yellow Dog was originally "forked" from Red Hat Linux and uses RPMs and
similar software to Red Hat.

Another very good tactic would be to simply use the Mac OS X that comes
with your Macintosh, or is available from Apple.  It has a FreeBSD core
and is suitable for most Unix-based applications.  You may want to
consider joining the "hardcider" list  -- http://www.hardcider.org/ for
discussion of Mac OS X.

Hope this helps,
Jeremy