[TriLUG] Linux on a Mac?

linux r linuxr at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 12:07:45 EST 2004

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 07:37:39 -0500, Brandon Newport <bnewport at appws.com> wrote:
> I run debian on my dual G4 and love it.
>
> -brandon
>

> Jeremy Portzer (jeremyp at pobox.com) wrote:

> > > I beleiver Gentoo ( http://www.gentoo.org ) has a PowerPC port.  You
> > > might try that.  You will definetly need a distro ported for the Mac.
> > >

> > Good point, Gentoo has a PowerPC  (for Mac) version, as does Debian.
> > Here is a central point for discussion of Linux on PowerPC (for Mac):
> > http://penguinppc.org/mac/
> > (note that there are other versions of the PowerPC for certain strange
> > IBM workstations, which are *not* what you have in the G4/G5.)
> >
> > According to the "distributions" list there there is a Fedora/PPC
> > version available (remember, Fedora is the development/community-built
> > cousin of Red Hat Enterprise Linux).   Information is here:
> > http://www.bytebot.net/geekdocs/ibook/fedorappc.html
> >
> > But it's not clear how up-to-date or complete that is.  I'd really
> > recommend YellowDog Linux over this if you want a "Red Hat style"
> > distribution that has a great deal of community support.
> >
> > Jeremy
> >
> > --
> > /---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > | Jeremy Portzer        jeremyp at pobox.com      trilug.org/~jeremy     |
> > | GPG Fingerprint: 712D 77C7 AB2D 2130 989F  E135 6F9F F7BC CC1A 7B92 |

Hello,

>>>I'd really recommend YellowDog Linux over this if you want a "Red
Hat style" distribution that has a great deal of community support.

You hit the nail on the head, that is EXACTLY what I am looking for.
I am sure Debian will run, I simply happen to not have done much with
Debian (yet - heard good things).  And I need to get it going fast.  I
am gonna try to talk them into i386 hardware since they have deep
pockets.  Then use whitebox, if ppc, probably use YDL.

Thanks for your help,

Marc