[TriLUG] SVN

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Thu Nov 4 14:29:53 EST 2004

 > If someone is interested in presenting a program or
 > mini-course on Subversion, I'm interested in hearing one.

My experience with subversion has been to treat it just like
CVS.  Basically "s/cvs/svn/g".

The three exceptions:

(1) The notation for first-time check-out is slightly different.
    It uses a funny URL:  svn://machine/repository/path

(2) Every time a file is checked in, the version numbers for the
    entire repository will increment (not just the affected files).
    That takes a little getting to, but it grows on you.

(3) Branches are handled in a kind of sloppy way.  A branch is
    just a subdirectory with a complete copy of the source tree
    (but SVN is smart about storing duplicate files).

If you've used CVS in the past, there's not much else to learn.

Alan