[TriLUG] NFS mount error... portmap: Server localhost not responding, timed out

Matthew Lavigne maillist at shenandoahkennels.net
Fri Nov 5 09:28:31 EST 2004

On Thursday 04 November 2004 10:47 am, Byarlay, Wayne A. wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Me again. Well, I'm trying to retrieve the data from my server that
> crashed a couple days ago, and I want to NFS these files to some other
> NFS share. Using the "Linux Recovery CD" recommended earlier, I am able
> to mount my drives; but trying to NFS mount, the following happens:
>
> %mount xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/nfsmount /path
>
> portmap: Server localhost not responding, timed out
> lockd_up: makesock failed, error=-5
> portmap: Server localhost not responding, timed out
> lockd_up: no pid, 2 users??
> portmap: Server localhost not responding, timed out
> portmap: Server localhost not responding, timed out
> portmap: Server localhost not responding, timed out
>

> etc.
>
> Any ideas? :(

Two things-

1. You have to have portmap running the both systems.  So check it with (for
RH based) service portmap status or Non RH based /etc/init.d/portmap status.
If it is off in either case on the server or on the rescue disk then you can
do a (for RH again) service portmap start or /etc/init.d/portmap start

2. Are you issuing a -t nfs on the mount command?  I did not see it there and
that may be throwing mount if portmap is running.  Also on the server side
check to see if nfs is running and exported as rw using showmount -e
localhost and from the client you can do a showmount -e servername.  If both
of those produce results then the mount command should work...

Matthew Lavigne