[TriLUG] Kernel parameters such as file-max

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Fri Nov 5 12:34:09 EST 2004

I don't know much about the ins and outs of the various kernel tuning
paremeters, found in /proc/sys/ and edited with /etc/sysctl.conf and the
sysctl program.

I know how to set and display these values.  What I want to find more
about is to see how current usage compares to these values.  For
example, /proc/sys/fs/file-max is the number of open files allowed per
user, correct?  How can I see if the current usage is approaching that
limit?

Thanks for any advice/pointers/comments that you may have!

Jeremy