[TriLUG] NC*SA Meeting - Monday, November 8, 2004 - Voice Over IP

Matt Frye mattfrye at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 11:45:51 EST 2004

FYI - Jon is doing NC*SA this week (tonight).  As always, free pizza,
drink, and knowledge.

Matt

The next meeting of the North Carolina System Administrators will be
Monday, November 8, 2004, at 7pm in the Dreyfus Auditorium at RTI
International.  Details about the meeting and directions are provided
in this note.  We hope to see you there!

     Topic: Voice Over IP
     Speaker: Jon Carnes and Paul Levering

     7:00 p.m., Monday, November 8, 2004

             Dreyfus Auditorium
             RTI International
             Research Triangle Park, NC

Abstract:
Jon and Paul wil present an overview of current options and industry
directions (doing it yourself [using OpenSource, the hurdles to
overcome, the skills to learn] verses various  industry installations
- with cost/time analysis and typical ROI).

Bio:
Jon Carnes
 Directory of Information Systems at FeatureTel in Raleigh, NC.
 FeatureTel is the North Carolina's first Hosted Telephony provider.
 Jon Carnes has managed the Information Systems of several Triangle
 Corporations: HAHT Commerce, ON Technology, and Davinici Systems.
 His specialties are Networking design and maintenance, High
 availability systems, and Phone/network integration. Jon is also
 a proponent of Open Source solutions for businesses.

Paul Levering
 CEO of FeatureTel in Raleigh, NC
 Prior to starting his own Hosted Telephony (VoIP) Company, Paul
 served as the CIO for Metro Telecom, where he oversaw the deployment
 of some of the first business VoIP phone systems.

==============================
Mind Your Business Technology Symposium
November 15, 2004 at The Friday Center, UNC Chapel Hill.

NC*SA will be taking part in the Mind Your Business Technology
Symposium.  We need volunteers to help man the NC*SA table and tell
visitors what NC*SA is all about.  If you're interested in
volunteering, please contact Matt Frye mattfrye at gmail.com before Nov
12.
==============================

Our meetings are free and open to anyone with an interest in the topic
of the evening and/or system administration.  We will be providing
food and drink for the evening. If you have any questions please
contact the Steering Committee at:

ncsa-steer at ncsysadmin.org

 ncsa-discussion .. general discussion
 ncsa-announce .... meeting announcements
 ncsa-jobs ........ employment opportunities
 ncsa-steer ....... steering committee

These are currently run on a Mailman list manager at ncsysadmin.org -
please see this page on our web site for more information about these
lists:
http://www.ncsysadmin.org/lists.html

(Please note, if you are a member of sage-members at usenix.org, you will
also get a copy  of these announcements.  We cannot unsubscribe you
from that list.)

==============================

Directions to RTI International:

See also a map to the meeting place.

>From I-40 west of RTP (e.g. Chapel Hill):

Get onto I-40 heading east. Follow I-40 to the NC-147 - Durham Freeway -
North (towards Durham). Stay in right lane. Shift right as soon as
possible after merging with traffic coming off I-40 westbound.

Exit to the right at the next exit (Cornwallis Road). At top of exit, turn
to the left. (If you turn right and cross over the bridge, you are going
the wrong direction.) After turning left onto Cornwallis, shift
immediately to the right lane. Take the second right onto East Institute
Drive. Take the second right off of East Institute Drive. Dreyfus
Laboratory will be the first building on your right. Use the parking lot
in front of the Lab and enter at the main entrance.

>From I-40 east of RTP (e.g. Raleigh):

Get onto I-40 heading west. Follow I-40 to the NC-147 - Durham Freeway -
North (towards Durham). Shift to rightmost lane as soon as possible Exit
to the right at the next exit (Cornwallis Road). At top of exit, turn to
the left. (If you turn right and cross over the bridge, you are going the
wrong direction.) After turning left onto Cornwallis, shift immediately to
the right lane. Take the second right onto East Institute Drive. Take the
second right off of East Institute Drive. Dreyfus Laboratory will be the
first building on your right. Use the parking lot in front of the Lab and
enter at the main entrance.

>From north of RTP (e.g. Durham):

Get onto NC-147 - Durham Freeway - south. Exit at the Cornwallis Road
exit. At the top of the exit, turn left to cross over the bridge. After
turning left onto Cornwallis, shift immediately to the right lane. Take
the second right onto East Institute Drive. Take the second right off of
East Institute Drive. Dreyfus Laboratory will be the first building on
your right. Use the parking lot in front of the Lab and enter at the main
entrance.

A map of RTI is available at http://www.rti.org/images/campus.gif

Enter through the glass doors at the front; all of the doors except one
will be locked, but one will be open for our access.  Walk through the
lobby, go straight out the glass doors, across the patio, and straight
into Dreyfus Auditorium.