[TriLUG] cable modem?

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 9 10:36:25 EST 2004

Jeremy,

Just make sure you buy a DOCSIS 1.0+/1.1/2.0 compatible modem.  DOCSIS 1.0
modems won't perform as well, and will likely have firmware bugs that will
never get fixed.  Find out from the cable company what modems they typically
use in the field, and try to buy one of those.  I suggest Motorola SB4100 or
SB5100 or Toshiba PCX2600.  That's assuming you are not getting VoIP
services, which would require a wholly different modem that they /would/
likely make you get from them.  Good luck!

Regards,
Ben Pitzer

"Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
 --Ben Franklin--