[TriLUG] Mandrake 10.1 from DVD iso on virtual machineand videohe!!

john mitchell john280z at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 12 08:19:51 EST 2004

Jim Ray wrote:
> Start -> X -> error -> fatal server error -> no screens found

    Ah!, same problem two failed Debian X installs had (Debian ran OK, not X).
My solution was to boot an Insert Linux live CD on that same hardware and use
the XF86Config-4 file Insert was running on. I mounted /dev/hda1 (using the
EmelFM file manager) and copied the file over to /home/usrname. Then reboot
(without the live CD) and as root I copied the XF86Config-4 to /etc/X11.
    The only change I then had to make was to change the:
Option "Protocol" from "PS/2" to "IMPS/2" - for my wheel mouse.
    A later "diff" on the two files showed that the original did not have the
section on the monitor timings.

john mitchell