[TriLUG] how to determine device name for ifcfg-ethx file

Wesley Zhang xyzhang at cisco.com
Thu Nov 18 23:09:54 EST 2004

Hi All,

How does redhat 9 determine the device variable for its ifcfg-eth
files?  I used minimum redhat 9 installation on my compaq desktop with
two physical interfaces. After a sucessful boot up, ifconfig -a only
shows lo interface. I copied ifconfig-lo to ifconfig-eth0 and if I
specified device=eth0 and ifup eth0 silently does nothing. My question
is how to figure out what to use for device in ifcfg-eth files? How can
I query linux to get the NICs info before it is configured?

Thanks,
Wesley