[TriLUG] RoadRunner routing problem?

Jeff Groves jgroves at krenim.org
Fri Nov 19 12:32:59 EST 2004

Tom:

Yup. I wasn't going to be the first to bring this up due to my
grumpiness last week, but since you mention it.... this  routing problem
started after the ~3AM outage this morning on RoadRunner (yeah, I was up
at that time of night... work..).  When I called at 3:15AM, it was
explained to me that "something needed fixing and it would be about an
hour or so before they had it fixed".  It took about 45 minutes before I
had to restart my cable modem and get a new IP address, but I could not
get to www.tera-byte.com.  I chose to be patient (a novel thing for me)
and try again later in the morning

At about 9AM this morning, I tried again and I found that my router had
to be reset again.  That got me a new IP address again and I was able to
get to most web sites sites again, but  I was still unable to get to
www.tera-byte.com.

At about 10AM (had to get to work otherwise I would have called sooner),
I called in a report to the advanced technical support team at
TimeWarner.  I apparently passed muster with them and they gave me a
direct line to call them without having to go through the droids in the
future.  I was pleased.

The last status I had from these people was that they were working on
the problem.  That was at about 11:20AM.

Here's my traceroute:

$ traceroute www.tera-byte.com
traceroute to www.tera-byte.com (216.234.161.11), 30 hops max, 38 byte
packets
 1  10.44.160.1 (10.44.160.1)  11.211 ms  12.001 ms  12.150 ms
 2  srp2-0.rlghncg-rtr1.nc.rr.com (24.25.1.99)  12.036 ms  11.731 ms
12.048 ms
 3  srp4-0.rlghnca-rtr1.nc.rr.com (24.25.2.145)  12.696 ms  12.525 ms
12.154 ms
 4  srp13-0.rlghncrdc-rtr1.nc.rr.com (66.26.33.177)  11.977 ms !H *  *
 5  * * *
 6  * * *
etc. etc. etc.

Thanks,