[TriLUG] printing directly to IPP from Linux

gregbrown at mindspring.com gregbrown at mindspring.com
Fri Nov 19 14:28:26 EST 2004

All:

I have a printer listening on ports 631/ipp, 515/printer, and 9100/jetdirect.

I am running knoppix 3.6 on my work laptop.

I would like to print DIRECTLY to the printer (i.e. no setting up CUPS, no defining a queue anywhere (hopefully), etc).

I read the lp man page and tried this, but it failed:

echo "a bunch of mindless crap" | lp -h 192.168.10.242

(where the IP Address is the address of the HP printer).

LP barfs and says: "lp - error -scheduler not responding!"

Any ideas on any way to print directly to this printer?

I am trying to send a "Dear user - we need to know the location of this printer, blah blah blah" to about 100 "lost" printers and I'd rather not set up a queue for each one.  Plain, unformatted ASCII text is okay (that means "we" did our due diligence in this case and we can move on if they choose not to call us back).

Greg