[TriLUG] linksys wrtg54g range problems

David A. Cafaro dac at trilug.org
Sun Nov 21 00:35:10 EST 2004

I was using a linksys wrt54gs for a while, and finaly gave up on it.
The range seemed to be shorter than my old netgear 802.11b and I would
find the wireless part of it would lock up every month or so (and no I
had no lockups with the old netgear, my cordless phones are all 900mhz,
etc..)

I just purchased a new Netgear b/g router the WGT624 and it has better
range.  I'll have to have it more than a month or so to see if I don't
have the monthly reboots like the linksys, but I definitely see much
better range out of it than the Linksys.

I'll be saving the linksys for experimentation with embedded linux for
now.

One other thing you could try is the linksys range expander WRE54G.  I
purchased this and it does work, but it is a big PAIN to setup.  It also
doesn't have MAC filtering (does have wep, and WPA in an eventual
firmware upgrade).  It did help make up for the lost range when I was
still using the Linksys router.

-David

rblach at intrex.net
--