[TriLUG] OT - cleaning laptop after coffee spill

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Dec 17 16:12:25 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 15:32 -0500, P. L. Charles Fischer wrote:
> I had Sprite in my IBM A20p. I took it apart and used distilled water to
> wash off the motherboard and keyboard. I then let it dry for two days. This
> will work best if the spill has not dried. There are still a few keys that
> need more cleaning, but it has been working for a year.

About a year ago, an entire large coffee landed smack in the center of
my ThinkPad A22p's keyboard while the machine was running.  My heart
skipped a few beats!

I turned it off and carefully wiped off all the surfaces using a
slightly damp cloth and a slightly damp Q-tip.  Then removed and cleaned
the Ultrabay CDROM and wiped off everything with dry napkins and dry Q-
tips.  And finally gave the machine two hours to air-dry.

Two hours later I was back to work using it.  And I've had no hardware
problems with it since.

Good luck with your your laptop cleanup!

Ed

ps - Yes, I *will* buy another ThinkPad when the time comes.

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307
emails:  eh3 at mit.edu                ed at eh3.com