[TriLUG] Re: Thinkpads... *** OT ***

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Sun Dec 19 13:23:15 EST 2004

William Sutton wrote:
> I'd just like to point out that there is a very large difference between
> manufacturing a laptop to someone's spec and designing that laptop and
> manufacturing it according to your own spec.  At the moment companies are
> building ThinkPads (and other IBM hardware) according to IBM's design.  My
> understanding is that Lenovo is taking over the design part (the
> manufacturing already belonging to non-IBM companies).  Thus there is a
> potential for the design quality to drop off.

My one hope is that since Lenovo is already building the majority of
Laptops for IBM, and since they are picking up a large fraction of the
design and engineering people from the IBM PC Business, the same high
quality will continue.  At least I can hope it will.

--[Lance]
--
 Carolina Spirit Quest  http://www.carolinaspiritquest.org/
 Celebrate The Circle   http://www.celebratethecircle.org/